Wednesday, August 22, 2007

First weekend

(The following is taken from a note I wrote on facebook about my college experience thus far)

Saturday (the 18th of August) began with move-into-the-dorm day. In case you hadn't heard, I had been stranded without a roommate, so I was a little nervous that I'd end up all alone. However, it all worked out and I now have a really cool roommate who's on the cross country team and so wakes me up at 6:00am when she leaves for practice. She likes Spider-Man thought, so all is forgiven. If you want to harass her (but in a kind and loving fashion of course), she's the Melyssa Cardenas in my friends list. As soon as I get my camera cord in the mail, I’ll be able to upload pictures (hopefully) of my room.
Saturday was also the day I spent most of my time in Target, buying things for my room and convincing my parents that “Yes, I do need Poptarts.”
I also wandered through the dorms a bit and said "Hi. My name is Rachel." to whoever I saw. And thus was invited to watch Labyrinth in a room down the hall from mine. David Bowie is very…amusing in his role with his wild hair and eyeliner and shiny, oh yes, very shiny outfits.

Sunday was church browsing. Morning was a Baptist church and evening was the Church of Christ that is practically on campus. That, and I saw Hairspray with my parents. We all are in agreement that John Travolta in that movie is disturbing, to say the least. But the music is very catchy. In fact, that is what I’m listening to while I write this (Thank you OC for providing a free music download service for your students!)

Monday…hmmm…Monday was frustrating. We had registration and freshman orientation, both of which went well. The enrolling and getting my schedule all settled – not so much. My advisor was sick or something so he wasn’t there to help me. Thus, I was sent back and forth to different people about 4 times, all the while worrying about how there were only a few available spaces left in a class I absolutely needed to take. Eventually it worked itself out and now I am enrolled in 6 classes for 15 credit hours: 2 art classes, 1 freshman art seminar, 2 honors classes and 1 class that very much resembles my old Humane Letters class from high school. Basically it’s meeting for an hour for dinner and discussing a book we’ve all read.

Tuesday (the 21st, in case you can't keep track): The beginning of the freshman camp-like experience called Earn Your Wings where we’ll “learn to soar like Eagles.” With Eagles being our mascot and team names, this is a rather poor pun/joke thing. Still, I have managed to learn a few things from the guest speaker, such as this important hierarchy of pain from having your finger slammed in a door (from least painful to most):
3) A hollow, fake wooden door such as those used for bedroom doors.
2) A front door or back door. Heavy wood or metal and glass.
1) Car door.
Very useful trivia to keep in my head, although I definitely don’t plan on finding my fingers being smashed in a door anytime soon.
There was lots of insane cheering with each HUB trying to outshout each other. Don't ask me what HUB means, but it's basically a group of 20 or so people placed together to get to know each other, to learn all about activities and clubs at OC, and battle other HUB groups to be champion.

Overall, I'm having lots of fun and am very excited to see what else college has in store. Classes start on the 27th.

Any questions? Comments? Etc, etc.

No comments: