Sunday, August 26, 2007

Dry Gulch USA

Yesterday, I returned from Dry Gulch USA where I had been staying for the past few days and the amount of joy I feel at returning to my dorm room where I have a nice bed and good showers is immense. (Let's just say I was afraid to touch the sides of the shower stall and don't get me started on the floor. Thank goodness I brought shower shoes with me.)

Besides the showers, Dry Gulch proved to be pretty neat. It's basically a few blocks of western buildings which, so I was told, used to be the set for some TV show. The owners refitted the hotels and other small buildings to be cabins while making other buildings the dining hall, an autotorium (or the "town hall") and an arcade with pool tables, old N64 and playstation consoles, and half basketball courts.

There were many Sweet Sixteen hub group meetings (the theme and name of our hub group) where we learned about the different aspects of Oklahoma Christian, played games, and imagined a skit/cheer to present before everyone in a fierce competition to determine what hub group was the best.
...
While our cheer was good and certainly better than some of the other HUBs, we sadly did not win.

What, however, I did win was a 3-on-3 basketball tournament. Now I get 10 dollars/points to spend on what I choose on campus, which means I'll be heading straight for the coffee shop.

The last night of our stay there was a very enthusiastic, fun concert where everything from Gwen Stephani's "Sweet Escape" to various country and rock songs to Smashmouth's "I'm a Believer" was played. I was down with my friends Emily and Mallory in the throng of people jumping and clapping with the rest of them. I didn't, unfortunately, work up the courage to body-surf on the top of the crowd, so that opportunity was lost.

It would be very lengthy and probably not that interesting for me to go into every single event that happened, so those were some of the highlights. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask in the comments.

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Hey Rachel it is Mrs. Dunham I am glad that you seem to be having a good time in college. I just wanted you to know that I was thinking of you and I am so glad that you have this blog. We also have a blog. it is http://dunham7.blogspot.com so you can keep up with our family as well. I look forward to checking your blog as well.

Mrs. Dunham